Sunday, March 22, 2009

Gwen's Fate


My dear little Gwen's journey in life has taken another turn! Some things in life happen for a reason; I think they call it fate.

After her ordeal of being lost for three weeks and miraculously returning to me, Gwen's adoptive mother found herself in a position of no longer being able to care for her. I had to step back and decide what was best for Gwennie. Although she was happy and secure living with me, my time is stretched with many obligations. I had to determine if I was doing right by her if I decided to keep her.

Gwen has come such a long ways since she came into rescue, but still needed some help learning to be a normal dog. Her potty training for one, was evolving but not constant. After seriously looking at the time I could devote to Gwennie, I decided she needed a family that could put her needs before anything else. That wasn't me, even though I wanted to watch over her the rest of her life.

After considering many people that wanted to adopt dear Gwen, rescue chose a family with three cats!! Gwen would be their only dog and become the princess of their home. The young couple are the most gentle, caring people I have met in a long time. They are great problem solvers and very dog savvy. They have had rescues before and were very ready to take on the process of helping Gwen evolve even farther along.

On Saturday, March 14th, Gwen met her new family. She took up to them immediately. At one point, we had a hard time getting her out of their truck to take pictures!!

After a week adjusting to her new home, we hear Gwen is doing well and the cat are working to accept that they now have a canine sister! Her new mom says she is everything she wanted in a dog and adores her. She has already gone for walk in the park and a play date has been made with a friend's Beagle.

With all the plans the new family has for Gwennie, I am hoping she will become a social butterfly and not live her life out as the "Queen of the Couch" as she probably would have here with me. Although I miss her terribly, I am happy for Gwen and feel so fortune to have found this wonderful home for her. Sometimes, you just can't change fate!!